Fire burned the volunteer fire station Monday night in the village of Nehawka, Nebraska.
Firefighters could do nothing but watch, frustrated and helpless, according to a report from the Lincoln Journal Star (http://bit.ly/OvEH62).
“When I heard the page come over…the Nehawka Fire and Rescue, 735 Elm St., there is no way to describe that feeling. Your heart sinks,” Fire Chief Sean Huckleberry said Tuesday as volunteers scrubbed soot from trucks, ladders and every surface within the station. “It’s just like watching your house burn.”
All the firefighters’ equipment, with the exception of a single pair of pants, was inside the station. With no gear, the 16-member department had no way to fight the fire.
Firefighters from six neighboring departments converged on Nehawka, a tight-knit village of about 200 people, shortly after 8 p.m. By 8:45, fire apparatus and other emergency vehicles from Union, Manley, Avoca, Weeping Water, Murray and Plattsmouth lined the four blocks or so from the fire station to Main Street.
Fire crews used an electric saw to open one of the station’s bay doors to inspect the interior, and flames were extinguished by 9 p.m.
Read more details about this incident at http://bit.ly/OvEH62.