WASHINGTON, D.C.—The open application period will run from August 15 toSeptember 9, 2011. FEMA’s Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) provides funding for the essentials that firefighters and first responders need to be safe and effective on the job. If your department or agency has critical needs, AFG can help.
Paid, volunteer and combination fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations from urban, suburban, and rural communities in the U.S. and its territories are eligible for these grants.
What Does AFG Support?
- Firefighting and EMS equipment
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Fire and EMS vehicles
- Training programs
- Wellness and fitness programs
- Modifications to facilities
What’s New This Year?
- Funding priorities have been categorized as: High, medium and low. Use our priority system to increase your chances of winning an award.
- We’ve added new items/activities eligible for funding in 2011: Behavioral health programs, boats under 20 Ft., and extended warranties.
- Flashover simulators are not eligible for funding.
- Applicants may apply for more than one vehicle. However, driver/operator training/certification is required in order to receive a vehicle award.
Learn more about AFG and start your application online at http://www.fema.gov/firegrants.
A variety of assistance is available including:
- AFG Application Tutorial – Coming Soon.
- AFG Program Guidance and Application Kit: http://www.fema.gov/firegrants/afggrants/documents.shtm
- Get Ready Guide: http://www.fema.gov/firegrants
- Help Desk: 866-274-0960 or email@example.com
- Regional representatives: http://www.fema.gov/firegrants/program/contact.shtm
- Review of applicable NFPA standards: http://www.nfpa.org/nfpaafg2011
As of August 2010, prime recipients of Federal grants are required to register in the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) system. As a potential grantee you are not required to register, but you may wish to do so now in case you receive an award. CCR registration will be required if you are selected for an award.
For more information on grantee registration in the CCR system, download the AFG Get Ready Guide or visit their website: https://www.bpn.gov/ccr/grantees.aspx