Indianapolis (IN) Fire Department Rig Involved in Accident

All of the firefighters were transported to Methodist Hospital—alert, oriented, and in good condition. The severity of their injuries included a variety of pain in chest, hips, back, elbows, and neck. All are expected to make a full recovery and none of the four are were admitted into the hospital.

Four Indianapolis (IN) Fire Department (IFD) Firefighters are extremely lucky to have not sustained more serious injury after a man slammed into their stopped engine as it was preparing to back into the firehouse. The man, who officers say was travelling approximately 90 mph, told officers he did not see the engine before he hit it. IMPD investigators estimated his skid marks at 103 feet before he hit the engine.

Engine 30’s crew was returning from an EMS run on Alton St. when they were positioning the apparatus to back into the station. Per standard procedure the engine turned on its red lights, angled the apparatus in front of the approach, and prepared to back onto the approach and into the bay when the man’s car plowed into the right rear corner of the engine and pushed it approximately 10 feet onto the opposite sidewalk. The man jumped out of the car and started to flee the scene but came back when the firefighters got out of the apparatus to check on his welfare and yelled for him to come back.

Although all four firefighters were belted during the return to the station from Alton St., at the point where they were stopped and preparing to back into the station, both Lt. Foster and Pvt. Patterson had unbuckled and were within seconds of opening their doors and stepping off the engine. Per IFD SOPs, any time an apparatus is backing up it they must have two spotters, one on either side. Lt. Foster and Pvt. Patterson were those spotters.  Lt. Foster and Pvt. Patterson were thrown about the cab upon impact. Lt. Foster landed underneath the officer’s side dash and Pvt. Patterson on the floor of the cab rear. Had either of them actually opened their door to step out, the outcome of this incident could have been catastrophic. All four firefighters were able to exit the engine on their own accord and began to assess the driver for injuries upon his return to the scene. Ladder 30’s crew, who were on station at the time, took over patient care of the man while medics worked to assess the firefighters.

No posts to display