Akron Brass is celebrating its 90th anniversary this year, enjoying its position as a world leader in products for the fire and emergency medical services.
The company makes and markets nozzles, monitors, scene and warning lighting and multiplexing equipment. It all started in 1918 when some former B.F. Goodrich Rubber company employees formed the Akron Brass Manufacturing company to produce couplings for the rubber-lined fire hose market. Production began in a leased portion of an American Cereal Company building in Akron, Ohio. Demand was very strong, and the company quickly outgrew the leased quarters and found it necessary to relocate to Wooster, Ohio where it continues to operate today.
In 1935 demands for additional expansion capital led the management team to incorporate. In 1962 Akron Brass merged into the Premier Industrial Corporation of Cleveland, Ohio. Under Premier, continued growth resulted in the need for additional capacity, and the facilities were expanded with the addition of 24,000 square feet on Spruce Street and 42,000 square feet on Old Mansfield Road in Wooster, Ohio.
In 1996 Premier Industrial merged with Farnell PLC of the United Kingdom to become Premier Farnell PLC, which undertook a major expansion in 2001.
In 2004 Akron acquired the former GFE Manufacturing in Washington, Ill., which makes electrical equipment, and then in 2005 it acquired the former Weldon Technologies in Columbus, Ohio, a manufacturer of vehicular lighting and electrical control products. All those products are now offered through Akron Brass via its global sales and distribution network.
For information about Akron Brass call 800-989-2718 or go to www.akronbrass.com.