APPLETON, WI—Pierce Manufacturing Inc. has opened registration for the sixth annual 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb at historic Lambeau Field on Saturday, September 22, 2018. Co-sponsored by the Green Bay Metro Fire Department, all proceeds raised will benefit the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation (NFFF) to assist the families of fallen firefighters and provide resources within the fire service community to reduce firefighter deaths. Last year’s event was recognized as one of the largest in the nation with nearly 2,200 participants and $110,000 raised.
“The 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb allows participants the opportunity to honor and remember the firefighters who selflessly gave their lives, so others could live on September 11, 2001,” said Chief David W. Litton of the Green Bay Metro Fire Department. “The climb also memorializes fallen heroes nationwide, and the critical funds raised will provide benefits, programs, grief support, and more for the families of these brave men and women.”
First responders and community participants are invited to ascend the equivalent of 110 stories—the height of the fallen World Trade Center Towers—on the steps of Lambeau Field. Spanning the entire bowl inside the stadium to accommodate the expected record number of attendees, climbers will not only pay tribute to the sacrifice of those who lost their lives on 9/11, but will symbolically complete their heroic journey to save others.
“It is an honor to partner with the Green Bay Metro Fire Department and the NFFF for an event that so passionately represents the courage and sacrifice exhibited by 343 firefighters on September 11, 2001,” said Jim Johnson, president of Pierce Manufacturing. “We are hopeful the entire region will be inspired to participate and help us expand on last year’s record breaking attendance and dollars raised.”
Event details include:
- Preregistration, event details and FAQs are available at piercemfg.com/climb.
- Event registration is $35 per person until August 19, 2018, and $40 per person, thereafter.
- Preregistrants will receive an event t-shirt and all climbers will receive an honor badge.
- Climbers can preregister and check in the evening before the climb from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. near Lot 5.
- An opening ceremony will take place at 9:00 a.m. featuring the Presentation of the Colors, National Anthem, and a prayer. Climbing safety guidelines and instructions will be announced prior to the bagpiper procession into the stadium.
- Start times will be organized into 10-minute waves of 343 climbers and will be assigned on a first come, first served basis.
- Entertainment for supporters and those waiting to climb will be supplied by Paul Cummings, a firefighter and singer/songwriter from Western New York State, who tours the country to salute those who sacrifice for the greater good.
- Climbers will be given a badge with the name and photograph of one of the fallen firefighters, to symbolically complete the climb with one of the fallen.
- All funds raised benefit the NFFF.
Since instituting a partnership with the NFFF, Pierce has helped raised more than $500,000 to support the NFFF’s mission to provide support and resources for the families of fallen firefighters. Through support networks, conferences, workshops and scholarships, the NFFF has lead a nationwide effort to develop and expand programming for the entire fire service community.
For more information about Pierce Manufacturing, the NFFF, and the 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb, visit www.piercemfg.com/climb.